View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #19
Sorenant

Default Re: [Basic] Icarus Landing System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
In 'Icarus Effect' official Deus Ex novel protagonist Ben Saxon landed onto ocean surface after jumping from an airborne jet. His cyberlegs where broken, but he was relatively unscathed. So I think Icarus Landing System is a good bunch of limited DR (Falling Only), not immunity nor flight.
Jensen jumps out of a VTOL in the first cutscene of Humanity Divided and lands unscathed. I don't know much about Icarus Effect or Ben Saxon, but the wiki says:
Quote:
With no other choice, Ben opens the cargo bay doors and jumps out into the sky above the Atlantic Ocean. At the last moment he triggers his Icarus Landing System, the strain of such a long fall eventually burns it out. Saxon manages to land in the water and but once again destroys his cybernetic legs.
So it seems he did not activate his augmentation at the right time, like opening a parachute too late. Which by the way seems to me like a fair interpretation of the Icarus Landing System: An electromagnetic parachute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The text on B80 under resistant would seem to make that illegal
I think he's using "Immunity" in a general sense, not related to Resistant.

That said, I support the idea that RAW Catfall should cost [5]. It's a neat ability but I find [15] exorbitant. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I'd also be leery of this ability because the first thing I'd be thinking is "Does it work against damage from being thrown into walls? If not, why not?" Mind you, this question also applies to Catfall and to the Acrobatics roll to reduce falling damage.
This is a good point. How about changing the Parachute limitation from Powers into an enhancement worth +200% (raising the cost of Catfall from 5 to 15) that requires the described distance to deploy but makes the character immune to fall damage and requires no open air space?
For an extra 50% (equal to Cosmic, Not subjected to built-in limitations) the character can fall at normal speed and the ability works at any distance. It's a cosmic enhancement for cinematic games, so no need to justify why it doesn't work when thrown around. The world just works like that.

Last edited by Sorenant; 05-23-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote