View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Potential Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I like the idea of rewarding the character for using a more roundabout method of creating the effect.

As it stands, there are at least three mechanically distinct ways to use Path of Matter to destroy a bridge (or castle wall, or whatever) - External Damage to fling a chunk of matter at it (might be able to get away with Lesser Create Matter - the chunk doesn't need to be complex - and Lesser Control Matter - to fling it forward or make it fall incredibly fast to cause damage without need for build up, although I could see cause to boost the latter to Greater Control Matter), Internal Damage to make it break apart (Greater Destroy Matter due to the damage needed), or simply bypassing the need to damage it by reshaping it into a form that cannot support its own weight (via Lesser Transform Matter; Greater Transform Matter to transmute it to air might not be an ideal option here, as presumably the bridge would return to normal once Duration expired). Is it really so bad to add another option, conjuring a stone above a bridge and letting gravity do the work?
It seems like too much work to add to the GM for the same exact effect - in three ways as you noted. Though you could also do something like Affliction + "Instant Death" (Powers, p. 118) too. This is the sort of stuff that can force a game featuring RPM to a screeching halt. I'm all fine with adding to a system if a) adds flavor b) doesn't inconvenience the player/GM or c) doesn't reduce fun. Adding complexity for the sake of complexity is not a good path to travel down with a free-form system in many cases. I think this is one of them. Just my two cents of course. But I think you'd find it difficult to GM. If you find this sort of thing fun...well, I'm not going to come to your house and stop you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote