View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] magically-granted Compartmentalized Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhaysh View Post
Hail, o Hivemind!

I come to you for help. I'm preparing a medieval Monster Hunters mini-campaign, and one of my players is making a witch character. Now, the problem is he wants to have a spell that grants his character Compartmentalized Mind. What he wants to do is use his "normal" mental compartment for spellcasting, while having the other compartment control his body to attack and do stuff.

To me it sounds like using magic to become better at magic because he's eliminating the "opportunity cost" of executing other actions.

What do you think? Does it really violate the "magic can't make you better at magic" rule or am I being to fussy about this?

Thank you in advance for the input! :)
If he uses his regular maneuver to cast spells and the granted compartment to do purely mental, non-magical actions then he's fine. Compartmentalized Mind doesn't give another action - it gives another mental maneuver. You'd need Altered Time Rate to get a whole other action.

Also, I wouldn't sweat the Altered Time Rate ritual - it's at a minimum 300 energy (100 for Altered Traits and x3 for a Greater Effect). If he can cast that spell - let 'em.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote