View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
shadedmagus

Default Re: [House Rules] Wizardly Spell List by Magery level

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
I guess it's a matter of deciding what counts as essential and what is inessential. That's the operating factor in the original prereq design, more or less. You're using a sharper razor.

What I was wondering about was why you decided that those particular spells needed prereqs beyond Magery. I'm not disagreeing with your choices, or the project as a whole. I'm interested in how you made your decisions, and what your criteria were.
I went through and took a look at the prerequisites in the official spell list, and what jumped out at me was that most of the prerequisites seemed to indicate a mastery theme, but a skill-based one instead of a talent-based one. My thought on that was that most of the spell prereqs could be rewritten as, "If you have this much talent in Magery, you have the prerequisite ability to figure out how to do this spell without knowing prerequisite spells, especially from other colleges."

The spells that have spell prerequisites in my list are spells that, in my mind, need specific knowledge of another spell in order to be able to learn the advanced spell. Some of these seemed obvious: knowing how to put a single target into daze or to sleep in order to be able to do the same thing to every target within an area, or how to blink yourself before being able to blink someone else. Same as with knowing how to make a fireball before knowing how to make a fireball explosive. As for Windstorm, it seemed to be a sufficiently advanced spell on its own that knowing it would be crucial to casting an effective Sandstorm or Spark Storm.

Now that you have me thinking about it, Detect Magic probably wouldn't need to be a prereq for Identify Spell, and it could be argued that Magery 1 would be enough of a prereq to be able to Seek Magic.

But the language spell prereqs made perfect sense to me - you need to know how to speak/write in at least one language before being able to lend or copy it - so I left those in place.

I hope that helps.
shadedmagus is offline   Reply With Quote