View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Pyramid 3/77] CER Calculations

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmervine4 View Post
3. When calculating the score for Affliction, it says that if the Affliction also causes damage, you should use the full value for the one with the higher score and 1/5th the value of the other. Does this mean that you should work out both the Affliction score (including modifiers for Terror, Binding ST, etc.) and the damage score (including modifiers for Rapid Fire, damage type, etc.), then, depending on which is larger, divide the other by 5 and add it to the overall OR?
Correct.

Quote:
4. Kind of along with the previous question, does this "use 1/5th of the other's value" apply if the best Affliction isn't linked to damage? The case I'm thinking of here is if a creature has a damaging attack and also has a secondary attack that causes an incapacitating condition, but the two are not linked. In that scenario, would the full value of the Affliction and the full value of the damage score both add to the OR?
Correct, if it has an Affliction that isn't linked to damage use the full CER.

Quote:
(The underlying logic here to me seems to be that if a creature has a single attack that damages and incapacitates, only the worst of those two effects make it more dangerous so the lesser one contributes less to the OR, whereas if the creature has the ability to damage and incapacitate separately, those two separate attacks modes are overall more dangerous so both fully contribute to the OR.)
Correct.

Quote:
5. I'm trying to calculate the CER for the Acid Spider in DF2 to ensure I understand the calculations properly, but I'm coming up with OR 31/PR 41 whereas the Pyramid article shows OR 32/PR 62. Following the instructions in the article for the Acid Spider I had OR = 5 + 0 + 20 + 3 + 3 = 31, and PR = 6 + 13 + 3 + 16 + 3 = 41. Where did I do wrong?
This is known errata - sorry. The tables have some issues. I've submitted it. But to break it down some:

Offensive Rating
Attack Skill: The Acid Spider's base attack is 15, so 15 - 10 = 5
Affliction: The Acid Spider has nothing applicable here, so 0
Damage: The Acid Spider's main damaging attack is 8 points of impaling damage and 0.5 points of cyclic corrosion damage, so for the impaling attack it's 8 x 2 = 16, while the corrosion damage is 0.5 x 2 = 1 x 10 = 10; total is 26
Fatigue Points: The Acid Spider has an FP of 13, so 13 - 10 = 3
Move: The Acid Spider has a Move of 9, so 9 - 6 = 3

Protective Rating
Active Defense: The Acid Spider has a Dodge of 11, so 11 - 8 = 3 x 2 =6
Damage Resistance: The Acid Spider has DR 4 in all locations and no significant protective traits, so 4 + 4 + 4 +4 / 4 = 4
Health: The Acid Spider has a HT of 13, so 13 - 10 = 3
Hit Points: The Acid Spider has a HP of 26 and no significant recovery traits, so 26 - 10 = 16
Will: The Acid Spider has a Will of 12 and Combat reflexes, so 12 - 10 = 2 + 1 = 3

Thus total OR is 37 and total PR is 32, so total CER is 69.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote