View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Seeking Cinematic Social abilities *short of* mind control / reading / supernatur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
It's actually pretty cheap in GURPS to break the reaction rolls system so badly it's almost impossible not to get a positive reaction from the grumpiest gate guard.

Charisma, Fashion Sense, Androgynous transcendent good looks, Voice and a level or two of Talent and you're laughing.
That seems to be missing the point. Not everything high-powered is cinematic and not everything cinematic is high-powered. Leonardo da Vinci was high-powered but not cinematic; same with Hawking. Rugrats are cinematic but very low-powered.

Quote:
If you're after some cinematics, maybe add in Luck, Serendipity and so on, with Limitations that they apply in social situations only?
I suppose I should've written Serendipity in addition to or instead of Gizmo. I.e. it sorta fits, but doesn't seem to have the uniqueness for socials that e.g. Gadgeteer for nerds has.

Quote:
Or add Cosmic to your Voice. Then maybe your coffee machine will love you, like Anders suggests :)
I have to agree that the ability to intimidate (or charm, or whatever) things that are normally not susceptible to it is indeed an interesting ability. It's also funny that I missed that idea, because I've seen this very ability discussed in a thread dedicated to the upcoming 3e of Exalted.
Also, GURPS happens to have actual ways of building it, depending on the metaphysics of the setting:
The proper form of Empathy for campaigns where some targets are sentient but Indomitable (either as a trait, or de facto due to belonging to mutually indomitable categories). Medium and other spirit-related traits for campaigns where spirits of items exist. Etc.