Thread: Steam Bomb
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Gedrin

Default Steam Bomb

The World: TL3^, transitioning to TL4^, low moderate magic using Threshold Magery.

The Prototype: A hollow iron sphere, filled with water. + The Heat spell.

Use: Sphere's are staged in the combat area and modestly heated using conventional means. The idea is to pre-heat them to conserve magical power. "Arming" the sphere consists of casting the Heat spell on it. Spheres are launched using whatever means is available, balista, catapult, angry ogre.

Theory: The sphere fails, likely on impact, and the superheated water creates a steam explosion.

The spheres, constructed using Shape spells, could be stockpiled in peacetime. A combat effective weapon would probably require developing a "Fast Heat" spell or extensive study of the impact characteristics and temperatures needed in combination to heat safely and detonate properly. While magic could produce similar explosions, in this game world, the number of Magery 0 people about 10 times that of those with Magery 1 (and access to Explosive Fireball). Additionally, I suspect the power to boom ratio is better for such a weapon.

I'm sure this isn't the first time it's come up. Is there a DF on this, or another resource that would be useful? Also, is this use of steam power appropriate at TL4? Pressure cookers are mid TL4, and mass produced in late TL4. I'm guessing pressure cooker explosions are also mid TL4, if not sooner.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote