View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
Mailanka

Default Re: What if a nation decided to leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you have the transport capacity to move millions of people quickly *anywhere* it's likely a local issue, not a global one, simply because having that much capacity in the first place implies there is something like that kind of traffic already, which means the populations involved are already at least an order of magnitude bigger.
Well, the question is "In THS." Either you have the capacity to move around millions of people in short order, in which case we're not really playing the standard THS anymore and having that capacity isn't a big deal, or we're playing standard THS "with one weird thing" that can move millions of people around, in which case it's a big freakin' deal, but not because 15 million people leaving Earth is a big deal, but because something with the capacity to move 15 million people off Earth is a big deal.

EDIT: If it isn't a big deal (ie, it's THS with greater capacity for moving people off world and there's, say, 50-100 million people in the extended Solar System), then I would argue you're back to your Zionist/Greco-Turkic exchange model, only without a population displacement (there are no angry Martians bombing Kurds for taking their land). The Kurds sell their properties on Earth, which are greedily snapped up by locals who want even more room to do Earthy things, and they take that money and use it to fund their transition to their space colony or whatever, and that's that. In such a setting, I doubt that this would be entirely unusual (You almost certainly have libertarians doing it, and communists, and hippies, and cults and so on)