View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: What if a nation decided to leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Basically it is possible, but improvable for a nation or national group to decide to leave the Earth and set up elsewhere in THS. This thread would explore the consequences of such a move.
It requires such a blatant level of mind control - to convince everybody in the nation to actually agree to go - that it's hard to say a lot about consequences. I suppose "they do whatever the mind controllers tell them to as well" works.

For the most part I don't see how this differs from any other mass emigration - say picking up and moving to the US or Israel. In theory it's not quite as hard since you don't need an entry visa from where you are going, but the cost of transport is so huge it amounts to the same thing - you need the approval from whoever is paying for the trip. If your population is rich enough to pay for it themselves, many of them aren't going to want to leave - they have a nice life here thank you - and most states aren't going to let them take that much wealth out of the country with them.

I suppose the other model is a totalitarian government conducting an ethnic cleansing campaign (bizarrely in this case on their own people) forcing them to move into the wilderness somewhere. You could do that in the 19th century, but it's not going to go over so well in 2100.