Thread: Talent System
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
ecz

Default Re: Talent System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
My thoughts on Talents (ITL) are that they should have three levels and that they should originally be bought with IQ points, but after that they should be leveled up with experience points. Each level would have of course prerequisites. This would help some with the bloat on attributes, the forgetting talents rule that makes room for another talent, increasing IQ to be able to gain more talents, and with talents you could address issues like perception (instead of adding a perception attribute). Also I would like to see that the talents not just give a +1, +2, +3 type of progression. But something that gives you something each level. For example you buy sword with your IQ points at the beginning of character generation. At the first level you are proficient in the use of a sword. then at the second level you might have learned to defend yourself better with it so it makes it harder for your opponent to hit you maybe a -3 to their attack roll. At the third level you might be able to disarm your foe with, lets say, a 4d vs DX roll. These are broad base ideas, I'm not a game designer, but this might help organize the system and solve problems that we are discussing on this forum. I believe if done right that it would give a stair stepping approach to improving your character. A lot can be done with talents that could increases mana to cast spells, giving extra hit points to increase the survival rate for characters, so on and so forth...
My thoughts anyway.
good ideas that changes the basics of the game.

If we want a ITL back to life is one thing, if we want a different game is another.

I would take the game as it is now, with a few necessary fixes about talents, combat and a few adds and improvements in the GM's book ( Economic system, world, etc etc... as written elsewhere in this forum).