View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #50
Flyerfan1991

Default Re: First thoughts on D&D 4th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Sorry about the mass reply here...
Worse things have happened around here. I'm going to snip a bit to focus my comments.

Quote:
So? They're a totally new race to 4e, as far as I can tell (unless they're from Eberron - I'm not really familiar with that setting. I don't have a problem with them introducing new core races. There were certainly enough Half-Dragons floating around in 3e/3.5 that I can see why they chose to make a draconid race "core" - they're less twinky than Half-Dragons but should keep the "KEWL DRAGON" set happy. (I'm one of the KEWL DRAGON set, for reference. I mock myself because I care. :)
Well, I think I now know why the Dragonlance setting got pulled back into WotC, because they were working on this race. I think part of my chagrin about this is that if the Gnomes were a bit too unbalancing to be a core race, then what the heck are the Dragonspawn then?

Quote:
Unfortunately you're outvoted by the dollars spent by the teeming hordes of teenagers who are playing the game. I suspect it has a lot to do with the bulk of the D&D market beeing teenagers. I've mentioned it before that part of the fundemental nature of teens is the drive to find out what the rules of being a person are - often by pushing the boundaries to find out where they get yelled at (say, by being gaming munchkins).
There are teeming hordes of teenagers playing D&D out there?

Where?

I thought they were all playing WOW online. ("Hey you kids, get offa my lawn!!")

Quote:
I've always had the stance that what races/classes I allow into my campaign is my domain. I've had D&D campaigns where no arcane spellcasting classes were alowed and no pure clerical casters, or where the only race choice allowed was Human (or Elf, in one case). I frequently forbid half-orcs to save on angst over ork stabbing.

Are you disqualifying Eladrin, Dragonspawn, and Tieflings because they don't fit your campaign world? If so, go for it!
Well, yeah, but the point is that in just about any campaign I'd create except for specifically "mondo magic" campaigns, I'd ban those three. D&D 4.0 is starting to make the mid- and low- magic campaigns harder to justify. At least in 3.0 and earlier editions, you could accomodate a low-magic campaign a bit more easily.

--Mike L.
Flyerfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote