View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

One reason that popped into my mind: It's a matter of rationalization.

Mercurians can't act violently toward mortals. When a Mercurian Falls, it's likely because he chose to do so, more than once. There's always what seems to be a good reason, and at the worst, a Mercurian can tell himself that even if he's hurting someone, he's not doing any permanent damage, so the harm isn't actually real. Heck, even crippling injury can be Healed if it's important enough -- sort of like a Cherub; if you can put it back together, no foul, right?

That delusion only gets strengthened at the moment of becoming an Impudite, where your wants and needs are more important than the rest of the world's, anyway. But when you kill a human ... that breaks the rationalization. It can't be fixed. The soul is either in Heaven, in Hell or in the recycle bin, and regardless, it's something you can't get back no matter how much you want it. That's enough to break through the shell and twinge the last remaining chord of the old Mercurian nature, even if the note is soured by personal selfishness.

My take, anyway. YMMV, as always.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote