View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #38
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Dice odds without dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Have you considered a pre-roll sheet or two?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
That can certainly work. One suggestion I'd add is that you simply label the rows and columns with letters...
So I liked this idea enough that I decided to make a sheet. On the page in the sheet I set up two tables with rows & columns labeled A-Z, which yields 676 result entries. In the upper-left of each of the two tables you can select 1d6, 2d6, or 3d6 results to fill the table. You can reroll the tables by pressing F9 (or selecting a different die).

Between the tables is a selector that says Random: Distribution. If you leave it on Random: Distribution the sheet will take the 216 possible combinations of 3d6 and distribute them across the table three times, using random rolls to fill in the leftovers. This means that every time you reroll the table you are guaranteed that there will be three 3's & three 18's on the table somewhere; and nine 4's & nine 17's; etc. I took the same approach of randomly distributing results with 1d6 & 2d6 as well.

If you change it to Random: Rolls it will fill the table with random die roll results. This means that the table is fully random and that some results may come up more or less frequently than they "should," so you could generate a table with no 3's but six 18's, or vice versa.

Excel Spreadsheet

OpenOffice Spreadsheet
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-05-2018 at 01:37 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote