View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #33
b-dog

Default Re: Bring on Hall of Judgment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
The point of 'Generic' is not to replace 'Loki' with 'Glorp'; it's to replace specific references to gods ("Loki", "Odin", "Tyr") with generic references that the GM can fill in, <i>or not</i>, as they please ("The God of Mischief", "God of Wisdom", "Lord of Justice"). Does the combination of the Norse-ish setting and the term "God of Wisdom" make you think "Odin"? Great, use Odin. If you already have an established game world, though, and your God of Wisdom is already established as Athena, this makes it easier to slot it in.
What is wrong with having people who don’t like Loki, Thor, Odin and Tyr be the ones to change them to their pantheon? Loki sounds a lot cooler than a generic god of mischief to me. Plus most people I know who have clerics worship a god and then adventure in a new place that has a different set of active deities. I just assume that a cleric has access to spells all over the world.

And why don’t Pegasi not get renamed to winged horses or Minotaurs into bull headed men? I think it is because the original mythology was a lot cooler than the generic naming. The same is true of deities in my opinion.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote