View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Azel

Default Re: I am intrigued by Aquelarre (rpg from Spain)

Yeah, the old material does have to move before. Sadly, business is business; people in the creative arts have to eat, and usually can't run a charity. Besides, Marc smiles upon trade. ;)

What I find strange is where people are finding challenge in running In Nomine. I often hear comments that it was too hard (or even unimaginable) to run because things were so complex. Now, out of all the books, only Ethereal Players Guide got so heady at points that I had to set it down and digest. So, I'm sort of at a loss where the confusion is from.

Mechanically IN is pretty simple. In fact, a lot of rules medium-to-light players state that they prefer bell curves, roll at or under systems, and degree of success determiner. 2d6 roll at/under + 1d6 DoS, done. That last 1d6 is a touch divorced from Target Number roll, and thus swingy, but whatever, d666 is pretty stylish in name, thus forgivable.

What I fear is it may be one of two things: First, the 1st edition layout was an alphabet soup of sometimes sloppy in-text embedded rules, errata, and jargon. And second, body-swapping, three-layered reality beings -- especially Kyriotates -- blew many a would be gamer's mind. Considering I don't have the current core pdf (for shame...) I just assume it's far better in the editing. As for the latter, I don't think there's a cure... sometimes neurons are fragile. (But to be fair, Kyriotates are a kick in the pants for just about everyone to grok at first.)

But if I were to promote the game, I'd sell up (what I thought were) the easily accessible mechanics. Like GURPs light, even lighter, with degree of success die and a gentle sloping bell curve. And just run a few missions based on mortal humans and their struggles, before introducing the aliens with mind-blowing powers.

Still in wishful thinking mode about Aquelarre. But it is a bit of an incentive to "evangelize" IN product. If people in US dig such a genre setting more, who knows what could happen?
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote