View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #29
Railstar

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Esoteric Medicine

Regarding Icelander’s discussion:

I want to interpret Esoteric Medicine broadly, because my experience with forms of alternative medicine seems to be people who practise one tend to practise another. My grandmother was/is a reflexologist, an aromatherapist and a masseuse, also does reiki, and probably a few other disciplines I can’t remember. I would hesitate to assume she has the Esoteric Medicine skill 4 times. I also think of people on the Psychetruth Channel and often the masseurs are also yogi, or some other speciality.

On the other hand, the Esoteric Medicine skill says a "specific" tradition – chi treatment & yin/yang healing are listed as two separate examples. Otherwise I would go for “Traditional (Regional) Medicine” or “Traditional Energy Medicine” as systems.

I think the problem is because Esoteric Medicine is not scientific, that makes it not as clearly defined as the scientific disciplines. I think Kachin Bando is fine for using as a tradition, even if the methods used within that tradition seem largely unrelated (after all, it’s a Hard skill, so it should cover a fair amount).

Unrelated:

I did take Esoteric Medicine: Necromantic as a skill – being the skill for treating demons or undead or similar creatures for which the rules of conventional biology do not apply. Or zombies with “will become a skeleton” - they don’t have Injury Tolerance: No Brain or No Vitals, so clearly trauma to those areas is a big deal, but them naturally rotting away isn’t harmful to the creature. So I used Esoteric Medicine for the skill of skeletonising a zombie without killing it (because skeletons are cleaner).

Also I liked the idea of vampires who might not have Dependency: native soil, but might still treat their wounds by sprinkling grave soil or such over them, making the whole “rest in your grave” thing seem more appropriate.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote