View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #26
Mailanka

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Esoteric Medicine

In Psi-Wars, Esoteric Medicine is one of your only means of curing psychic crippling or "psychic diseases" that arise from haunted places. I borrow from the idea of "exorcism as form of medicine" that you see in antiquity, except I combine it with germ theory (necessary in a sci-fi game): some diseases are biological in origin, but others come from a disruption of your "psychic life force." "Modern Medicine" is able to handle the former and not the latter while Esoteric Medicine is able to handle the latter, and has minor features that it can apply in the former.

Incidentally, I have a lengthy Patreon special about this, which is not meant as a plug. I'll even post it here, but it should be noted that it's a very long post. One of the things that cropped up in my research is that there's a lot of esoteric healing, everything from (not an exhaustive list):
-Traditional Chinese Medicine
-Traditional European Medicine
-Faith Healing traditions (exorcism, "demons as source of disease," etc)
-Mind/Body theories (where thinking good thoughts can make your diseases go away)
-Weird life-energy theories (Things like sitting in a box so that small-scale magnets can re-energize your bio-magnetic field)
-Homeopathy (Setting aside how they approach dilution, is very similar to herbal medicine)
-Massage techniques (Osteopathy or Chiropracty, which often strikes people odd as a form of alternative medicine; it's an example of alternative medicine that has been proved to work in some cases: it does help with back pain or migraines, but it does not cure asthma; not all forms of alternative medicine are complete bunk).

I personally think it's a bit of a shame that Esoteric Medicine gets relegated to "just Fantasy physician." The principles behind Esoteric Medicine can say a lot about the cosmology of the world (Where does disease and suffering come from in your setting? Are there ways people can enhance performance or achieve immortality in your setting?). And they can apply to more than just traditional medieval fantasy or wuxia: they also have a place in many conspiracy games ("the Man just doesn't want you to know the powers that Chiropractic healing can infuse you with!"), psychic games, monster hunter, After the End, or strange alien healing techniques in sci-fi games.

Last edited by Mailanka; 03-06-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote