View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Gurps Vampire vs Hunter balance concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I really don't know what you just said. The GM is aware I probably won't be having any fun, but there are 5 of us and not all 5 of us are ever completely happy with any type of gurps we play. So we're trying a rotation system where we each pick one. To start, it's going to be a vampire Gurps. I just have to deal with it. I just figure being a vampire hunter would be the most enjoyable to me than being a freak. I'm just not sure how I can be competitive. He'll likely give me some special items that grant bonuses. I guess I should just count on that.
It isn't really about the "plusses" here, but about what you are able to do in the game and what kind of spotlight time you can get.

Imagine if you are playing. In the early sessions the neonates will need to learn how to hunt, they will spend a lot of time doing that, because it isn't easy without herd, and they will die if they don't. They will need to learn about the local Camarilla, and will spend a lot of time being vetted and instructed by various officers, they will need to establish a secure haven, and they will need to be especially vigilant about attacks from the traditional enemies of the Camarilla like garou and Sabbat, because this stage of their lives is when they are the most vulnerable. All the while they will be struggling to do these things without losing Humanity. What are you doing during these sessions? You can't actually help with any of this except by running errands and guard duty, which if you aren't a ghoul doesn't look good at all to the local Sherrif. This sounds like you are going to be sitting around doing very little.

They are playing a neonate game, which means the principal conflict is survival. As a powerful mortal you don't have the same threats to your survival, you eat food and sleep in a bed, the worst the sun can do to you is give you cancer years later and you don't have to worry about Humanity. The principle threat to your survival is therefore associating with neonate vampires. That seems, honestly, like a recipe for a disaster.

Another possibility is you can play a Revenant (a Wraith that has animated its own body) as they have a way to fake being vampires. We had one in the last long running vampire game I was in, and the Camarillo just thought he was a caitiff.

Really though, I would just sit this one out. Find another group, or run a game more to liking yourself. They can play VtM with four players.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-14-2017 at 08:26 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote