View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #77
phiwum

Default Re: Spending Experience Points

Now that I'm trying to jump into TFT more, this thread has got me thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I propose a slight change to the following line in
Learning New Spells and Talents (ITL p 45) which says
Each new spell or talent learned costs 500XP – or 1,000 for talents marked (2) in the listing, and so on. As when your character was created, spells cost triple for a non-wizard, and talents cost double for a wizard.

The new line would say
At 34th or lower Attributes:
Each new talent learned costs 250XP – or 500 for talents marked (2) in the listing, and so on. As when your character was created, spells cost triple for a non-wizard, and talents cost double for a wizard.
At 35th or higher Attributes: Revert to original XP costs for talents.

THIS IS BASICALLY MAKING TALENTS COST HALF IF BELOW ATTRIBUTES 35.

[Note: I have not included spells in the above change because I haven’t evaluated how that would affect things.]

With the above alteration, the Ranger would be able to show some gains comparable to his Attribute Hungry mates, but still keep his slightly superior generic character stats.
This is a lot like what I'm thinking, but there is a problem, mentioned by many folks. Namely, it rewards slowing attribute advancement to gain cheap talents.

The remedy is make the cutoff point for cheap talents depend both on attributes and number of talents purchased by XP, I think. Maybe let the talents be cheap until attributes + purchased talents > 37 or so.

Something like that. Still stewing on this one. I'm thinking that I may have trouble running a long campaign or playing very often, so slow advancement will be unsatisfying. Talents are a good way to differentiate characters, but they can't remain so cheap that every character has essentially the same talents. I'm leaning towards a system like JohnPaulB suggests, with a bit of XP inflation (maybe 150pts per session).
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote