View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
phiwum

Default Images of a hex map, with megahexes

I've been making a couple of adventures, editing maps with Gimp. In order to do this, I cribbed a hex map from an old game, CityFight. Like TFT, it uses Megahexes.

I've switched my megahex maps to some cleaner images. See below for new links.
I thought others might find the hex maps useful as well. There are two versions:
  • A png version, usable by anyone
  • An xcf version for Gimp users, with a layer for selecting hexes and another layer for megahexes.

The maps are a little oddly shaped, since I wanted to rotate what I had to fit the orientation I see in TFT products.

Here's how I use them to make maps using Gimp. First, I set a black background and then I choose the megahex layer to select a number of megahexes and paint them white. After that, I select the hex layer for final touches on the shape of the room, selecting hexes and painting them white as well. Sometimes I add a layer to mark the lit areas. Add any additional objects necessary and you're done.

For other editors, the process is similar, but you won't have the advantage of already existing hex and megahex layers. You'll have to construct those yourself.

Furthermore, you can upload these to Roll20 and fiddle about with the dimensions so that you can overlay your labyrinth map on the Roll20 hex map. When you do this, you'll have megahex lines overlying the Roll20 hex lines, so you can use the TFT range rules quite easily.

Hope someone else finds this useful.

Last edited by phiwum; 10-21-2020 at 09:15 AM.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote