View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
jacobmuller

Default Re: [Basic] RoF and Random Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
For simplicity's sake, if you actually select a hit location and attack at its penalty – rather than leave the matter to chance – then all hits strike that body part. Somebody aiming at, say, the skull is already rolling at -7, which will mean seven fewer hits at Rcl 1, three fewer hits at Rcl 2, two fewer hits at Rcl 3, etc.; that limits how unrealistic this ruling will seem in actual play. On a less meta level, the shooter is "aiming high" rather than spraying and praying, so it only makes sense that he hits high.

The more realistic alternative would be to develop location-specific tables and use them for all hits after the first . . . because there will always be some scatter, but if you're shooting for a foot or the face, the fact that you're aiming low or high should make a difference. In that case, if you opt not to pick a location, you waive the right to use those tables, because you aren't actually shooting CM, high, low, left, right, etc. but are spraying and praying. However, such tables would add undue complexity, especially when you consider that each body layout would need its own full set.
Thank you again!
Location-specific tables: I've owned a couple of games like that - multiple charts or sheets of postures with targeting overlays. They always look fun/ cool and work fairly well, but then you realise how restricting they can be, and you can have too much detail (a mistake I keep making).
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote