View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
Grayscale

Default Re: Combining GURPS and Hackmaster combat system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
If I were to adapt a tick-based combat system to GURPS, it would at least have to cope with different attack variants -- and there's a lot of them.
So you couldn't just have a speed value of a "broadsword" in general, you'd have to have different ones for thrusts and cuts, and then probably again for all-out attacks (all of them), deceptive attacks, defensive attacks, reverse grips, defensive grips etc...

Heck, if those attacks remain unchanged at all. It could just be that instead of having a to-hit benefit or defense penalty, some attack maneuvers would change the speed values. (And what about stop-hits, ripostes and counterattacks?)

Also, integrating U parries and double-dagger weaponry might seem appropriate. Possibly changing this from a binary distinction to something graded (i.e. weapons could have a "unbalanced" window of ticks after a parry/attack, or a recovery time that might not be equal to the attack time).

HackMaster elaborated on a rather D&D-ish system, which is about as simple as it gets in RPG-dom (apart from maybe T&T). So adding a different initiative/round system on top of that doesn't have to affect to many moving parts. With GURPS, there's a lot more bells and whistles that would need to be looked at.
You're right, I'd have to adjust those maneuvers (and others, I believe). Different speeds for swings and thrusts seem appropriate.

From a cursory look, I'd say:

Deceptive attacks need not change, IMO.
Rapid attacks: maybe allow you to attack at half your recovery value, and then reseting your recovery as if you just had attacked?

Deceptive attacks, defensive attacks, reverse grips, defensive grips, ripostes and counterattacks are things I have't read about, and couldn't find them in the basic set, have I missed them? Are they from supplements?

Edit: also stop-hits,

Last edited by Grayscale; 06-05-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote