View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Icelander

Default Re: International Relations and Implications of US Supersoldier Experiments in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
That's not something you can get firm evidence-based answers on without a security clearance, but I expect that almost any large or rich country could have very good knowledge of any given US government secret program. After all, they spy on us!
Some do, of course.

I expect there to be a lot of variation among the ca 200 nation states in the world in how much spying they do in the US and Mexico, however. And relative power and wealth is an important variable there, but not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
The kind of people who spend a lot of time speculating about security and secret government programs on the Internet (ie. mostly not the people you want to listen to) seem to figure that the US relies on throwing a lot of money at problems ("lets build a giant complex to transcribe and store all telephone calls within the United States, and another giant complex to analyze the contents automtically!"), while other countries may do the same with more cunning and HUMINT. Nobody really knows though! And if they do, they can't provide evidence if they want to live a long life in rooms without bars on the windows.
Sure. There are unclassified studies of international relations in the intelligence arena, information sharing between various nation states and so on. There is also a lot of information reported on the news, with varying accuracy.

But I'm not looking for classified ways and means, at least not currently. I'm mainly looking for thoughts on the strategic goals, international relations and politics involved.

For example, Mexico would probably want information that could allow them to enhance the capabilities of selected elite soldiers and police greatly. But would they want it enough to risk an open breach with their much more powerful neighbour, who regardless of current political climate is a huge contributor to Mexico's security?

I'd lean toward 'no', there. But that leaves the question open, what nation states would risk an open breach with the US for this prize?

In other words, if there are covert operatives from a third (or fourth, fifth, etc.) party operating in Mexico while our PCs are there on behalf of Onyx Rain, what would be plausible nations of origin for them?

Does Venuzuela have the capability?

What about Guatemala, Honduras or other small nations?

Or friendly ones, like El Salvador? They'd probably not risk losing their biggest supporter, even for something like this.

What is a plausible political and strategic decision for large and powerful nation states like Argentina or Brazil about something like this?

If they had evidence that Project Jade Serenity had actually given test subjects superpowers and they had the chance to obtain cooperate test subjects, what might they do?

Would they send covert operatives into Mexico, knowing that there was a very significant chance that they'd have to fight local forces and/or Americans (who might be operating in Mexico without official sanction or who might be there as observers alongside Mexican military units)?

Knowing that the US would probably eventually find out who had given the test subjects asylum?

Last edited by Icelander; 04-05-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote