View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #33
starslayer

Default Re: inflicting advantages with negative limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Yeah, if you intend to Afflict enemies with an Advantage, why in the world wouldn't you slap on Costs 8 HP [-80%] to both reduce the cost of your Affliction and hurt them in the bargain? So, for Warp: straight up, Costs HP should be priced as an enhancement. But for Regeneration, Costs FP means it can be used on hurt friends or enemies whose FP pools are valuable. Does that mean Costs FP is a feature, since it adds a downside to healing your friends but opens avenues to exhausting your enemies? I mean, going to the extreme, Costs 16 FP [-80%] is acceptable RAW, so why not Afflict people with Acute Taste 1 (Costs 16 FP), they're forced to spend the FP to gain the benefit of the advantage, and most people are making Will checks every turn lest they fall on the floor? The whole thing seems very odd. I can't help but feel that some of GURPS's finest minds could write a Benediction advantage, Affliction's counterpart, and clear a good deal of this up.
Your kind of restating my initial problem and not noting my proposed solution.

If you want to afflict something with costs 16 FP, you must ALSO purchase an attack that does 16 FP and link it to the affliciton, the affliction only works if the attack consumes the FP to 'power' it. Thus you have paid MORE than the cost of doing 16 FP damage to have it afflict an advantage, but less than the cost of having the unmitigated advantage.

Example Afflict warp:

Warp [90], this lets you teleport people against there will- but you would like to make this draining

Afflict: Warp (costs fp 16) [26] can't exist by itself, and must be paired with
Fatiguing attack

So:
Afflict: Warp (costs FP 16) (link +10%) [29]
Fatiguing attack 4.5 <averages 16 damage> [45]
Total cost is 74,

This IS cheaper than just warp, but now has 'double clutch' issues (IE the fatiguing attack must drain the 16 fatigue to power the warp, and if either fails the combined effect fails)- but you can use this to helpfully teleport your allies, or hurtfully harm your foes while simultaneously teleporting them. I think that the double-clutch issues make up for the slight discount, and are otherwise a valid example of linking attacks.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote