View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #32
McAllister

Default Re: inflicting advantages with negative limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I get what you are saying, but consider

Affliction: Regeneration 1/sec (100), Costs FP 10 (-50%)

Regenerating for a full minute for 10 FP is probably a pretty awesome trade off if your wounded, and the cost reduction makes it more affordable to heal your allies. However its now ALSO a pretty effective attack, and actually quite devistational against mages.

Now if its linked to a fatiguing attack with the same modifiers, then its the FP attack that's causing the FP damage, which you already paid for, getting the regeneration for a discount just 'makes sense' for its reduced advantageous properties due to the fatigue cost.

It gets a bit more confusing if the granted 'advantage' is also an attack (like say warping your target 10 meters up so that they take fall damage, and getting a discount because you are also hitting them with an attack that costs 5 HP and you make the attack have 'costs HP-5 -50%')- however I still feel this is apropriate. The attack gets a reduced cost because it relies on another attack successfully draining hit points to 'fuel it', it still had advantageous properties (10 meters of warp is also useful for getting allies out of trouble, even with a steep 5 HP cost)
Yeah, if you intend to Afflict enemies with an Advantage, why in the world wouldn't you slap on Costs 8 HP [-80%] to both reduce the cost of your Affliction and hurt them in the bargain? So, for Warp: straight up, Costs HP should be priced as an enhancement. But for Regeneration, Costs FP means it can be used on hurt friends or enemies whose FP pools are valuable. Does that mean Costs FP is a feature, since it adds a downside to healing your friends but opens avenues to exhausting your enemies? I mean, going to the extreme, Costs 16 FP [-80%] is acceptable RAW, so why not Afflict people with Acute Taste 1 (Costs 16 FP), they're forced to spend the FP to gain the benefit of the advantage, and most people are making Will checks every turn lest they fall on the floor? The whole thing seems very odd. I can't help but feel that some of GURPS's finest minds could write a Benediction advantage, Affliction's counterpart, and clear a good deal of this up.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote