View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #1
eltiomolonio

Default One-shot items, rules 1.6 vs. rules 1.71

Hi,

I'm playing Munchkin Lite, and we've come across a discussion related to Wand of Dowsing.
The rules 1.71 about one-shot items say "Most of these are used during combat to strengthen the munchkins or the monsters, and may be played from your hand or from the table. Some have other effects, however, so read the card carefully!". All the other one-shots in the set specify when they can be used (Flask of Glue, Wishing Ring, Doppleganger, Magic Missile, Pretty Baloons, Magic Lamp, all potions), but Wand of Dowsing doesn't, so we were treating it like a normal item (play only when received or during your turn).
In the forum, people kept quoting the rule "Any one-shot Item can be played during any combat, whether you have it in your hand or on the table", but I couldn't find that, until I figured out they were quoting rules 1.6.
My question is: has the rule changed? Can all one-shot items still be played during any combat? And if so, can you still play Wand of Dowsing during your turn or upon receiving it, even if there's no combat in place?
As a matter of fact, it feels like an item you should be able to use at any time, just like Wishing Ring, but since the card doesn't say anything, I can't be sure. Should the card be amended in future editions to specify when it can be used, just like it was to specify it was a one-shot item?

Now, issue no. 2: non-item treasures. Rules 1.71 say "Most of these cards say when they can be played, and whether they stay in play or are discarded", and then gives GOUL cards as an example. However, we are not sure about Steal a Level and Hoard!
Again, rules 1.6 say different and specify "You may play these at any time, unless the card itself says otherwise. Follow the card’s instructions, then discard it, unless it has a persistent bonus like an Item." So I ask again: has the rule changed? If not, shouldn't the rules be more specific like they were on version 1.6?

I'm not a native, but I guess what confuses me in both cases is the wording "Most of these cards", which seems to indicate that you have to look at the card ALWAYS. (I know about Cards vs. Rules, but my point is, in this case, the rules don't seem to apply to all cards of a kind, be it one-shot items or non-item treasures).

Sorry for lenght of my question.

Edit: The "When You Make Take Actions" box in rules 1.71 say on your own turn you can "Play an Item (most Items cannot be played during combat, but some one-shot Items can)." Again, the wording "some one-shot Items" seems to indicate not all one-shot items can be played during any combat anymore.

Last edited by eltiomolonio; 11-07-2019 at 05:37 AM.
eltiomolonio is offline   Reply With Quote