View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #703
Skarg

Default Re: Lowering memory cost of talents doesn't fix everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
My superscript rules (and expended talent list) do fix all of these. (Except for one, see below.)
Yep, I agree.

Quote:
Making talents cheaper is a easy fix for some of the problems you listed.
Yes, though only a couple of them.

Quote:
Reducing the amount of experience given out is an easy fix for some of the other problems you listed.
Yes. And the experience system has problems which can be fixed in a way that also reduces EP awards. In particular, doing things that are challenging for beginners but easy for you, shouldn't earn so much EP. (e.g. making a 4/DX roll when your DX is 16, or killing an unarmored ST+DX=24 foe when you do 3d+1 damage, adjDX 16, and your armor is 8.

Quote:
A few different, easy fixes would make the new TFT significantly better than the old.
Yep.

Quote:
The 'problem' you listed (that I did not cut out above), where people with talents are more capable than those without. I don't think this is a problem.

Talents are good to have. Spending 1 memory on Knife gives you effectively +4 DX for that 1 mIQ. People want to have talents and people should have talents. Everyone has the potential to gain exactly the same advantages with talents as anyone else. I see no reason why characters with talents should get less experience than those without, since everyone will have them.

Now some people with pick talents that work well together and make them more dangerous. Other people will pick talents without these synergies, or non-combat talents, and therefore get less experience in fights.

Is this a big problem? It seems to me that TFT has much bigger problems which should be addressed. Most GM's I know will reduce the experience given by the TFT formula if the fight seems too easy.
It's not a big problem, but:

* IF (as I was suggesting) the limit of total talent points to IQ is removed, and extra talents are added which can be bought for EP, in order to create a juicy option to represent experienced characters by giving them more talents rather than just adding more and more DX & IQ, and we want an experience curve of some sort, then I think we probably do want to take into account talents, at least when they exceed the basics.

* If we care about accurate assessments of how strong a character is (as I do when I give out EP for defeating opponents, or for assessing difficulty of surviving a programmed adventure) then I'd want to take relevant talents into account. Fighters who use ITL talents well are worth a few more points in combat than Melee fighters or those with only basic talents.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote