View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: DF: Incantations Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
So I finally got around to getting my hands on DF 19: Incantations.
Thanks for buying it.

Quote:
Now, I was up for about 22 hrs when I skimmed over it, so i could just be an error on my part but I have some issues with how its set up.
I know those feels intimately as a fellow insomniac

Quote:
I really like how it works, with the SP and casting times and all. The Scripts and the Infusions are a nice touch etc.
I rather liked how it turned out myself.

Quote:
I really like how its handled. Dare I say it, Possibly more than RPM.
I use a variation of DF19 in my occult-horror campaign the Chronicles of Cetreri.

Quote:
However. I really, Really, REALLY, disagree with the 8 paths presented in Incantation. Me personally, I don't see how "Demonology" is one of the 8 fundamental pieces of reality.
Same way with inability to cast a heal spell, and a few other bits and pieces.
They were specifically chosen to evoke an old skool magic feel. Demonology was made separate because Necromancy was already doing too much and we needed at least 8 paths. Demonology isn't just about demons. It's about angels and servitors as well. You could think of it as classic diabolism and dealing with extradimensional energies and you wouldn't be far off. It's just in DF most things that would truck with the PCs are demons on the search for tasty tasty souls. So we kept with Demonology.

Quote:
Now, I have read, and do understand the "Incantation magic and other system", and the "Publication History" states that incantation magic is NOT rpm. That it is a derivative, that was reworked to fit Dungeon Fantasy. And that "All sections have been heavily modified to fit dungeon fantasy"
Yup.

Quote:
I don't play Dungeon Fantasy, and I feel Incantations could fit nicely in a world that I'm building. And I know that I could probably just swap the Paths back over, and re balance a few things, and just make do.
Yup. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Quote:
But I would like to know what was changed and why it was changed to make that whole process easier.
In general, DF19 defined things concretely that normal RPM left nebulous. This was one of the mandates handed down from on high and left me tell you as the guy who did it was not exactly easy. I've run DF a lot, but I've also run a multitude of other campaigns that used RPM and I've internalized it quite a bit. This was a problem because I couldn't see the problems with nailing things down without a lot of introspection on what RPM itself was.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote