View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #53
martinl

Default Re: [OOC] The Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
But I had trouble getting enough marines aboard that they would be commanded by an officer, and felt that a realistic NCO would not have the training to take part in staff-committee work and would deeply resent being asked to debate policy with field-grade officers.
Comments?
I think Mink are flexible.

Yes, the US Marines would probably have a hard time filling a position like this, but these are the Mink. They don't stand on protocol if it doesn't apply or isn't efficient. They certainly don't flinch from exceeding their defined roles. Mink don't care much if this won't advance their career, or is a big change from what they were doing yesterday, or requires them to treat nominal superiors as equals. (To be fair: These things might bug them a little but they will suck it up and do it because the Job is the Important thing.) The other Mink will even laud them for it, in the understated "That'll do, that'll do" way the Mink have.

So the question is not so much is there someone who will take this job as is there anyone who has the training and experience to handle it, with a sizzling side of "what are they doing now more important that requires these talents."

Do they have folks who have field command experience, and MI experience, and NCO experience? Given recent history, that seems plausible - these are the early post FW Mink - they have lots of folks who showed surprising talents in various war-related charlie foxtrots and/or were recently promoted massively and retrained because they at least had some experience, the right minkthink, and applicable aptitude.

So are they doing something more important? I'm betting no. The "everyone wears seven hats" phase of Minkstory is over, and average hat burden is down to two or three.

Of course, there is the final consideration - does it make the game better to have only one Marine officer PC? I personally think we may be pushing the limits of a reasonable ensemble cast already, but the incremental change here is not huge. I don't think it will break anything if I am wrong and we need another.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote