View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #50
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [GAME] Conceive a Cross Dimensional Fantasy Milieu

Quote:
gods can make new portals
That's not something I'm not 100% sure has to be true yet. Though they can at the very least greatly alter portals. Our use of the word "Gods" probably needs to be refined as well. I've seen that word refer to planet-sized creatures that are lived on. I've seen it referred to what seem to be powerful spirits that respond to mortal requests. And we have at least a one instance where "Godlings" are referred to, possibly referring to archmages and others of their power level. And the mother plains possibly blurs the lines between 1 and 2.

Quote:
btw- Those last two are the same thing. (A35/p43)
Oh wow, they are. But I thought the homeworld of the imperials was lost. Its difficult to get through the river of seasons, but its nothing a determined archmage couldn't do. I wonder if the portal still leads to their old world? I suppose something powerful enough to change one end or create a portal can change the other.

Quote:
As in, the identity of the plane they connect to? So Mother Plains Portals in other realms (if they exist) all look similar and give similar vibes?
More like you can tell that this is the kidnapper because of its color and motion. No need to tie portals to worlds. Some of them certainly move around.

Quote:
I can see both being useful. We want to allow some flexibility, but I have a resistance to making kitchen sink settings, as they tend to be similar to any other kitchen sink setting.
True. We don't need yet another generic fantasy setting, but we still want enough flexibility for people to plug things in. That's one reason I answered the magic rules question the way I did: so that any given ability could be available, but that any one user is either bound by continually looking for exotic resources or by the powerset they were born with.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote