View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 04:01 AM   #20
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Boomerang or club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
@NilsLindeberg You make it sound as if the Boomerang returns after hitting the target so it can be re-used. Not so - when a boomerang hits, it falls in the hex the target is in, so to get it back you have to move to that hex and pick it up, then ready it and throw. The Boomerang is a one-shot weapon - and you can only have, at most, four (two in the hands, and two on the belt - with no other weapon larger than a dagger and no shield). So, while the archer keeps shooting arrows up to 2 per Turn, the Boomerang thrower can throw for, at most, 4 turns and then has to melee or go HTH with a Dagger.
I have found the Boomerang to be a nice shock weapon but it needs to be backed up by a decent sized Sword or Mace or Ax. Also, because throwing Weapons only gives a +2 to DX, rather than the +3 of Missile Weapons(3), the Boomerang thrower will often attack after the archer...
I know a war boomerang doesn't return, only toy boomerangs do. But you can still move around with two boomerangs at the ready, and two in your belt according to arena rules. And since you can move half your MA in between throws you could move 20 hexes before you run out and most likely one of your opponents will be down by then and you can pick up the ones that hit him.

RPG wise I can't see any reason to restrict a person to two boomerangs on the belt?!? Just like multiple braces of multiple throwing daggers are a fantasy trope, so would multiple weapons be. Maybe I would make them special order a weapon belt for that purpose and then pay a premium. Unslinging a halberd from your back or a shield might take time, but a stick?

According to RAW, you are right, 4 boomerangs are the maximum. Unless you carry an arms load of them (not at the ready) and the first thing you do, is dropping them on the floor in front of you. And then go. A little like an archer planting arrows in front of him before a battle, but faster. But then again most battle won't last longer than 4 turns since most average TFT characters can kill themselves in that time, but if some are tanks or the opponents are then it might last longer. Or if you meet an army of sub-par minor monsters. At least it makes for a very good argument against an army of boomerangers.

On the battlefield, archers would still rule the day. And I also think the maximum distance for thrown weapons still apply to boomerangs even though their range adjustment is missile-like. So it is more of an ambush weapon and melee range curiosity for adventurers and brigand types.

And as I said before, Missile weapons needs IQ 9 while Throwing weapons only need 8, so the BoomeRanger can have one higher DX and be on par with the Longbow archer. So they would fire at the same time, with the Boomerang guy having a higher base DX and a slight edge in case of ties. But it is a minor point.

Last edited by Nils_Lindeberg; 05-31-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote