View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#34): Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
I think you forgot that Monster Hunters includes a variation on Destiny, instead creating a pool of points that you or your enemies can use to buy success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Power-Ups 5: Impulse Points completely changes what Destiny does and instead makes it into a refillable pool of cp that can be spent on effects such as Flesh Wounds (B417). It keeps a similar 'feel' that you are destined for greatness.
The moment I saw the thread title, I feared that the MH/IB rewrite will come up, and totally displace any discussion of GMing Basic Set Destiny. Oh well, seems I shouldn't have worried as much as I did, but still.

I like the concept of Basic Set Destiny, but the thing that prevents me from taking it is that (a) it doesn't offer the opportunity to even vaguely decide what sort of Destiny it will be and (b) because it is so fuzzy that I have no idea how it will play out in an actual campaign (a notable fear is that the campaign will shut down months to years before I get to experience the benefits of this 15-point investment).

When thinking of Destiny, I'm thinking of being able to ask for stuff like "I want to be the next Temujin of this world!" and the GM going "Okay, something like that". Because Genghis Khaan is what I consider to be one of the more iconic examples of persons who would have Destiny if played in a campaign. Other examples would be Gautama, Jesus etc. on the religious front, Gates on the technological front etc. People who had beginnings with low point totals (or points spent not on what they became famous for, like Gautama), but managed to achieve great heights despite that. Or something like that.

I'm not happy about it being 100% GM-chosen because it means that there is a big chance that it'll be something that the player will not find fun to play.

I've had a player take Destiny once. A negative one, though. I made it be about world conquest, but in such a way that he was supposed to be a leader of a faction which he disagreed with philosophically. So on one hand the player was happy because he liked the idea of world domination, on the other it was still a disad because his character's whole philosophy was that one should resist one's destiny if he has one. The player seemed to be happy about the way it went thus far. Alas, the campaign encountered problems and was eventually cancelled.