View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
whswhs

Default QQ 8-12 fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
What breaks, exactly, if Hercules has IQ 11 (Will 17) or Odin has IQ 13 (Per & Will 30)?

More points spent on skills? Irrelevant for an NPC and on theme for a God.
While I'm in general agreement that gods could have IQ 10, at least in their mythological/anthropomorphic manifestations, I can't think either of those is the best example. Herakles is a classic "work smarter" guy, relying on rational plans when his strength isn't quite up to a task, as in the cleaning of the Augean stables (where he used Engineer) and the quest where he got Atlas to fill in for him while he held up the sky/earth (was that the Golden Apples of the Hesperides? anyway, probably Diplomacy). As for Odin: god of wisdom, inventor of runes, master wizard, war leader, spy, stratagist, king of the gods, riddlemaster, sharp bargainer—if there's anyone in mythology who justifies a high GURPS IQ I think it's Odin (and Loki's not far behind him, though Loki tends to outsmart himself). I'd say around 13 for Herakles and maybe 16 for Odin.

Now, Hephaistos has a narrower intelligence and is socially clueless; neither Hestia nor Aphrodite is particularly smart; Ares is a murderous thug. Heimdal has keen senses but isn't an intellectual, and Thor is fairly consistently thick as a brick (the MCU movies get that closer to right than the comics used to). So sure, IQ 8-12 for the lot of them seems about right.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote