View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#34): Destiny

Power-Ups 5: Impulse Points completely changes what Destiny does and instead makes it into a refillable pool of cp that can be spent on effects such as Flesh Wounds (B417). It keeps a similar 'feel' that you are destined for greatness.

As for actual use, I've never taken it as per Basic. I don't know what it does. I'm not sure what the difference between having Destiny and 'being the protagonist' is (or is that what Destiny is supposed to symbolize?). My players have never taken it, and a fellow GM of mine has discussed it with me and others and we aren't sure what it is. I believe this is because it is probably the most ambiguous trait in Gurps. To compare, Unusual Background literally does nothing and I've taken it on roughly 1/4 of my characters.

However, the version in PU5 is incredibly fun and at this point my players are always taking it, and sometimes I just give it to the entire party freely.

Serendipity is a different trait altogether in Basic, but very similar in PU5.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote