View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #47
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
By the way - I'm now wondering if Bully, as described, is under-valued. It's a -10 point disadvantage (at Self-Control 12) which, taking the description literally, generates automatic -2 reactions for the character. An Odious Personal Habit that generates the same penalty is also worth -10 points -- but Bully also involves the danger that you'll try it on with someone you really shouldn't, which could be downright life-threatening at times.

A more sensible, less literal reading of the text might say that you only get the -2 reactions from people who've seen you being a jerk, so they don't kick on on first encounters and you can try self-control to avoid them. ("You need a favour from the Earl of Foo. Rumour is, he's a nice person. Try not to be a jerk.") However, I've always had the sense that Odious Personal Habit penalties also shouldn't kick in until the NPC has had a chance to observe the odiousness in action...
It seems to me that the -2 reaction is the consequences of people being unhappy when they become the target or witness of bullying. To lump on any extra penalties sounds like double-dipping for the price of the trait.