View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #87
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Converting Twilight 2000 for use with GURPS 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post

Time will tell if this particular character survives long enough overall. I've instituted the "hero points" concept that was introduced in GURPS where you can buy successes with experience points. Here, you have to BUY hero points before the game starts etc. Like JAMES BOND 007, natural crit successes also gain Hero Points free of charge. Even with those hero points and Luck as an advantage, I cringe to think that his character can bite the dust easily enough.

Last game session resulted in him trying to set a claymore mine in a hallway for a defensive position against an illegal "extraction" of someone he's contracted to defend. So, he's putting his claymore into place without a security element to watch his back. Next thing he knows, four men appear in the hallway unexpectedly. Thanks to Combat Reflexes, he's surprised, but not SURPRISED as it were. Thinking quickly, he grabbed the pin on the arming mechanism for the Claymore and threatened a Mexican standoff against the four that were within kill zone range. They retreated, he retreated, and then forgot about the claymore in the excitement of things happening thereafter.

Sometimes, luck and hero points aren't just going to cut it if a player pulls one too many "Mexican standoffs".
No matter what the legal speed limit, there's a breed of driver that will take it to mean s/he can go 10 mph faster. Raise the speed limit and they'll raise that 10-mph margin in synch.

There's a kind of player that thinks the same way. Put in a safety margin like hero points or karma or whatever, and he takes as a sign to take more risks...