View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #18
whswhs

Default Re: What if you replaced all cones with rods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Wouldn't this also grant a level or two of telescopic vision? I always understood that the primary reason eagles had such good distance vision was that they had dense rods in the forward-looking portion of their eyes. You're effectively doing the same thing to the human. I couldn't say anything about specifics, just memories of junior-high science.
I'm pretty sure that eagles have cones in their foveae, not rods. They hunt almost entirely by daylight; low-light receptors wouldn't be all that useful to them.

It's true that raptors have better visual resolution than humans, but it's not by all that much. Raptors, primates, and cephalopods are at the peak of the animal kingdom for vision. Raptors have a neat little trick that gives them an extra boost: instead of the retina being a simple spheroid, it has an extra little dimple where the main fovea is (they actually have a second side-looking fovea to track potential hazards in flight), whose curvature gives them more surface to hold neurons, and a little extra focal length. You could justify Telescopic Vision 1 that way, I think. But you'd need to duplicate that design for humans to mimic the benefits; human foveae already have an incredibly high density of neurons.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote