View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #144
Leynok

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#36): Digital Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
You guys are just thinking in Unkillable for machines in a fixed way; but you gotta think scenario-wise. This is a trait that allows ressurection for machines. Unless you say that every human being must buy a very small kind of Unkillable because of the possibility of being ressurected by Magic, gods or superscience, I dont see why you would ask this of a machine.
Okay, but what if you were in a magic setting, and magic could resurrect humans, but not an equally playable construct, do you expect the humans to pay for a 5 point "revivable by magic" Advantage?
No, because that's a 0 point feature of living in that universe. So why should you charge it for machines? Answer, because it's more unusual to have a digital mind than it is to be a normal human, thus it's cost is reflected as part of an Unusual Background that includes those 0 point features along with allowing a few other Advantages.

Which comes back down to; it's an Unusual Background, and so it's price should vary from setting to setting. Not every setting will have the ability to so easily restore the mind to a body, some will have it be expensive, others will have it take a lot of time, and for some it may even be more common than your normal human meat brains.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Which just makes it an unusual background, and not worthy of distinguishing from other unusual backgrounds.
I don't quite agree here though, but it should be listed as having a variable cost like any other Unusual Background, and maybe even listed as a option under them. Maybe it should be listed as a Meta-Trait since it's composed of many 0 point features? I don't think it's without Value, especially since the book doesn't give us many 0 point feature examples in which to build this up from.

Last edited by Leynok; 03-22-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote