View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Icelander

Default Re: Cutting-Edge Armor Design at TL10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I tried to re-create the TL9 Combat Hardsuit and didn't come at all close. I didn't try for Nanoweave but I would be surprised if it was more than "very early TL9" in the article. TL10 needs to be a full +50% better than a mature TL9.

So I'd guesstimate +75% to +100% over the materials in the article.

You can try and use the article to duplicate TL9 armors yourself to calibrate things. It may be "Cutting edge" in that it's more "late" TL8 than even "early" TL9.
That's quite a lot of improvement, depending on what we use as the benchmark for 'mature' TL. I mean, the article is already proposing a +100% effectiveness boost between mid-TL8 'Ballistic Polymer' and TL9 'Basic Nanoweave'; with the added benefit of the later TL9 'Basic Nanoweave' being only 50% of the Weight.

There is a very cutting-edge intermediate step between them, the TL8 'Improved Ballistic Polymer' that is +50% DR and 2/3 Weight compared to earlier TL8 'Ballistic Polymer' and 'Basic Nanoweave' is pretty much +50% DR and -25% Weight of that.

All in all, the TL9 stuff seems to be more than half again as good as the TL8 stuff. The progression is close to a doubling of DR by weight and it's pretty much exactly +50% DR by volume.

I don't know whether to apply that modifier to the 'Basic Nanoweave' is double-dibbing to some extent, however. Considering that it's the single best fabric there and would make all earlier fabrics redundant, perhaps it's already at the tail end of TL9 and should improve only incrementally?