View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #48
kdtipa

Default Re: Alternative IQ distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
I don't think you understand the concept, I'm not talking about giving a bonus, I'm talking about certain skills being controlled by one division of IQ than another.
I don't think you understand what I was I thinking. :)

If a person in your system has Logic-IQ 12 and Intuition-IQ 14, you could model it nearly the same way without having to make a super complicated change to the GURPS system.

Let's say this example person wants to learn diplomacy, and in your system that's more intuition based, so they base their skill on the 14. In straight up normal GURPS with the Talent advantage, you could create a Talent that fits the intuitive social interactions, and let them take the advantage at +2. Then with their normal IQ of 12 (most skills based on this), and the talent that roughly equates to being intuitive with certain skills would start from the 14.

I'm trying to say that you can already model a difference in "kinds of intelligence" with the RAW.

And one more quick thing: I don't think it makes sense to say the computer operation is strictly logical and diplomacy is strictly intuitive. A person can use a computer without being logical... the interface is designed to be intuitive... so that people don't need instructions to use various programs. That's the goal anyway. And diplomacy can be taught in a logical way... "if the person you're talking to is getting angry, apologize immediately and ask if there's a way to start over". I don't agree that the IQ based skills fall nicely into categories of logic versus intuition.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote