View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #74
Tomsdad

Default Re: [HT][TS]Tactics for realistic suppressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

There's also the problem of the vertabrae. If the goal is to sever blood vessels, close is actually good enough, because you can cut a fairly wide gash with a sharp knife and you don't actually have to know precisely where in that area the arteries are. By contrast, missing by a millimeter to either side means a non-disabling hit if you're trying for the spine.

In GURPS terms, DR 3 is pretty harsh when the damage per attack ranges from 1d-2 to 1d+2, depending on the level of awesomeness.
I was thinking more of going through the foramen magnum and into the basal brain/stem (spine can be in 100% perfect working order but of its connected to mash potato it won't matter).

You could go through the base of skull its self, but I would guess that the kind of knives we tend to have now are not best suited for this (I'm thinking it would better for older style knives with a squared cross-section and pick point, but then the ones I'm thinking of weren't used in this way).

But I'm guessing the angles for all this are going to be tough and the spine will get in the way. Especially if your pulling the head back when you will be moving you target area away from your strike and obscuring if further.

I guess I'm just thinking about this because as has been said sawing away at the neck will take a certain amount of time to kill, it's messy and the target will struggle.

I was thinking about grappling the neck and stabbing through the eye, but again that's going to be a small moving target. Another advantage of going of the neck is that it its not as mobile as the head on top of it.

Or under/between the the jaw and neck though the pallet, but there's a lot of stuff in the way and you could easily miss the brain stem etc.

I guess barring extremely precise strikes to the brain it "will take a certain amount of time to kill, it's messy and the target will struggle" is par for the course!

And ultimately your relying on combination of variable of shock and blood loss rather than guaranteed instant incapacity to do the job.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote