View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
Sindri

Default Re: Cities in Bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
A few likely common threads: there will either be formal rules, or informal but iron customs, to maintain genetic spread, the moreso because population presumably can't be allowed to grow, so it's 2.1 kids per fertile female on the average, everything else being equal.
For customs to maintain genetic spread, I know that there are some mostly isolated settlements that have developed widespread genetic issues. Does anyone know how common these are compared to ones that haven't? Either way they won't be without customs for genetic spread but they probably won't have as extreme as we could imagine people coming up with to intentionally handle it.

Quote:
Children are likely to be highly protected in a 10,000 person society, because they are precious and you can't risk having very many 'extras' around. Which means that parents will be expected to raise their kids in accordance with social standards that are likely to be pretty strict. The details could vary widely, but this won't be a society very tolerant of eccentric behavior. It won't have that luxury at 10,000.
For that matter they may be expected to not raise them at all. That has fictional precedent.

Quote:
We can't just handwave the details, the form of the society will depend heavily on the details of the situation.
A society will. I'm hoping for speculation within the general theme not developing a single setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
City of Ember gives a neat treatment of the Enclosed City.

Strict control is often seen as the only way for a small society to continue reliably. Inventiveness and individuality seem to fight against what is needed to sustain the small society, but then are necessary for a small society to survive. It's an interesting dilemma.

The Time of the Great Freeze is a novel (author Robert Silverberg) from the 60s that I remember quite well. The decaying underground survivalist civilization is portrayed in the first couple of chapters, and the rest is the adventure to 'see what's out there' above the glaciers. The society is similar to Ember in its decline.
I think I saw City of Ember, I haven't read The Time of the Great Freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I wonder if the OP meant Cities in Bottles more literally...
I mean cities in metaphorical bottles, but Kandor qualifies.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote