View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
Lord Twig

Default Re: Current Play: Portland Debacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
TFT is simply a poor fit for players who expect to win as the 'default' case, or who want to be clearly signaled when they are in a situation that carries a risk of defeat. It is hard to play TFT without a significant risk of defeat, unless you focus on encounters with nuisance creatures. It is also a poor fit for players who expect to have high levels of competence at most or all things, unless you give them highly experienced characters to start with.

Actually, that's probably the best solution if you think your group has these sorts of preferences. If characters are allowed to start with 40 stat points, 5000 XP worth of talents, spells and staff ST, and a minor wish in their back pocket, they will find they can do all sorts of wild things with only modest risk to themselves.

I personally find this sort of play to be mind numbingly dull: encounters with highly predictable outcomes amount to spending 20 minutes to work through the statements: 'you encounter 10 orcs'...'we kill them!'...'cool, on to the next room'.
I think you are overstating this. It's not a case of people just wanting to win, but if every combat is a coin flip then at best you can expect about 3 combats before everyone is making new characters. That's not much of a campaign.

Likewise you don't need to give the new players super overpowered characters. You just need to give them characters that have a decent chance to hit something. No character should have a starting DX of less than 10. Or if they do ( a "tank" character for example), then make it clear up front that this character is expected to miss 75% of the time. His role is not to dish out damage.

So maybe give them 34 point characters, or just make sure they aren't all wearing heavy armor right off the bat. And put them up against weaker creatures to start and ramp up the difficulty as they get better at the game. That's the best way to get new players into the game. In my humble opinion at least.
Lord Twig is offline   Reply With Quote