View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
malloyd

Default Re: Minimum Skill Count

A few of these I expect a majority to have 1 point in; most people probably do in Housekeeping, and one of those transportation skills, though it's certainly possible not to. Others (like Area Knowledge or Current Affairs) have good enough "defaults" for your home area you don't really need to - those probably should have been implemented as free points, like your native language, but they weren't. I'd add the Sex Appeal/Savoir Faire here as another pick one requirement - default reaction rolls in GURPS are pretty bad, so I expect plausible characters have a point in a go-to social skill. And I expect one point in something you could have used to hold the job that fed you before you took up adventuring.

For the rest, well Navigation (Land) is a no (you find your way around with Area Knowledge, nobody travels a city with a compass). Urban Survival is pretty much out unless you've spent months homeless. Computer Operation is relatively common, but certainly not a majority - if you install or configure software for something other than defaults perhaps, but you don't need it to operate out of the box stuff any more than you need Electronics Operation to operate a pay phone or change the TV channel. And nobody who has ever worked a public facing government job is going to believe a majority of people have actual Administration skill - even at the level of filling out forms, which probably doesn't call for an actual skill roll, you are lucky if they've even *read* the directions, let alone followed them with understanding.