View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
Cowrie

Default Elemental Creation Questions

I'm creating a setting that has, in addition to humans, a set of four elemental races, gnomes (Earth), salamanders (Fire), sylphs (Air), and undines (Water). However, I'm having some issues in creating some of their templates.

First of all, the sylphs are lighter than air and have that limitation on their flight. However, they also have a pair of wings that, while not providing lift, are necessary for both steering and propulsion, unlike the Small Wings limitation that only needs them for steering. How much would you eyeball as the cost of a limitation where injured wings cause a reduction in air speed, up to the point of potentially being able only to hover if both wings are crippled? -15% or -20%?

Second, I want the salamanders to be able to comfortably swim in magma, which based on the numbers given in Powers should require DR 30. Even limited to heat/fire, that amount of DR pushes the cost for the salamander template way higher than I want it to be. However, Power-Ups 2 - Perks lists Immunity to a specific damaging hazard as a valid fantasy perk. Do you think, considering that, it would be reasonable to make Immunity to heat and fire a valid full-fledged version of the Resistant advantage, at least for a racial template? And if so, what rarity level would you peg it at, Common or Very Common? I mean, limited defenses considers heat/fire to be common, but I'm not sure if those rarity levels are comparable to those for the Resistant advantage.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote