Thread: Power Blow
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
corwyn

Default Re: Power Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I was recently helping a friend optimize his martial artist a bit. I was impressed with Power Blow. You need to dump enough points into it to get to at least every-other-turn (at -5), but that's doable on a starting budget. With even a moderate strength score, you can dish out some impressive damage. His ST 13 martial artist is kicking for 2d+11. That includes his boots, Karate, Unarmed Master, and Seven Secret Kicks (in addition to Power Blow 17). Once he invests nine points into Mantis Strike, he'll be at 3d+13.

Has anyone here played a martial artist for long enough to bump Power Blow over 21 to triple strength? It would cost a bloody fortune to get up high enough to swallow a -20 for an every-turn strike, but that would be pretty insane (in a good way).
I did, but not in a DF game. It was a '30s pulp game, kinda like Action but no templates. I was playing a Shang-chi like character, even down to being Fu-Manchu's son. I did it by pouring a lot of points into will, so it doubled for a lot of stuff like Intimidation and I needed to resist a lot of will-based powers. Also we were about 400 points by the end of the game.

I mostly used it for breaking down doors and walls, which it was very good at; much too slow for combat. But I used it for double ST at least every other round, usually for Feint and Attack.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote