View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #54
Astromancer

Default Re: Sol-1 [Infinite Worlds]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Perhaps most jarring to me - and remember I currently live in the Deep South, one of the places this is most apparent, and I feel compelled to say not a viewpoint I agree with - is the utter lack of right-wing backlash against the left's "progressive social agenda". Suffice to say that after a few even moderate liberal presidents or Congresses, regardless of the economy, a "traditional" social values ultra-conservative/reactionary candidate that makes a lot of noise is almost guaranteed a win.

(Trying to give explanations or examples that won't get me an infraction due to RealPolitik and failing. This is a viewpoint I'm surrounded by and don't agree with, so I'm fighting to bite back the bile.)
The right-wing backlash of the 1970's worked for four main reasons. First) the trashing of the Bretton Woods System by DeGaulle, which might still be in this setting. Second, the Oil Crisis which is countered by the solar satellites. Third, the desertion of the Unions by the Democratic Party and the subsequent desertion of the Democratic Party by many Union and former Union members, which doesn't happen if Kennedy gets in office. He fought against dumping the Unions. And Fourth, the seeming success of Ronald Reagan. Which is moot in this world because Reagan in this world is a mere also ran.

With three of the four main reasons the backlash was powerful removed, I assume the backlash would be more limited to the Deep South. And as the economy kept growing, and working class life got better, most younger people wouldn't line up with the backlash.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote