View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Dalin

Default Re: Villain design material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
GURPS seems to have much information about creating PCs, such as templates, spell lists, and such, but is there similar information available on designing awesome/awful villains?
The third edition of GURPS had a series of books (published in the '90s) for common character archetypes like warriors, wizards, and rogues. Each book included templates and dozens of sample characters at different point values. I believe they are all available as PDFs. Even though the rules have changed and thus the point values don't work out perfectly, I still mine some of these samples for ideas when I'm building key NPCs. As a player, I've never played in a 500+ point game, so I'm not especially skilled at crafting high-point characters. Finding examples can be very helpful.

You might find inspiration for your evil mage, for example, in GURPS Wizards. A few sample characters include Martheblio the Damned, a 390-point lich; Lord Rivak of Zang, a 500-point wizard overlord; and Focalor, a 750-point "duke of Hell."

Note that I absolutely agree with other posters who say that you shouldn't obsess over points and full character sheets for most NPCs. Mine usually exist as a short list of signature traits. Even so, I love perusing examples of builds to get ideas for interesting powers or combinations of abilities.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote