Thread: HEAL spell?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #78
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Gentlemen - Would someone please clarify for me what it is about making a strategic retreat out of the bowels of the Labyrinth when a party is injured to the point that the risk/reward needs to be critically re-assessed, and resource management is on everyone's mind more than looking out for trolls, so to attack the Labyrinth again when the party is fresh and reinforced, that some seem to find so unappealing; that they would rather artificially *tweak* the rules-system, rather than make their way out to the surface?

Military Men have used the fighting/strategic retreat as a key maneuver for mobilized forces in bringing about eventual victory conditions since the Caveman fought in loose associations against other competing loose associations. Frankly, in my past campaigns, some of the most terrifying gaming moments were fighting our way out of the Labyrinth, scratching to get to the surface on limited ST, while the whole population of the Labyrinth Level seemed to be closing in on us as we backtracked our way through the tunnels, in order to get to the stairs that led to the surface-world above.

And not everyone would make it, every time.

So, if someone would explain to me why those thrills should be a thing to be avoided, I would be pleased to learn why it is so; as *Escape* is one of the most basic literary plots all on it's own - let alone as a plot-point inside a larger story-arc.

Anyone, please, clue me in.

Thanks.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-31-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Typos
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote