View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
Varyon

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul - Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Ah. I consider being able to step and retreat on a GURPS turn to be pretty vital . . . . but I guess I could tweak if I decided to use
Fair enough. Simply turning the free Step or Retreat into a Step and Retreat works just as well. Alternatively, reducing the costs of most of the actions to 5/9 rather than 6/10 would give you an extra 2 MP for that Retreat, and would also mean that choosing to forgo the Retreat (or a Step, you still get one free) would give you an extra 2 MP to do with as you wished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
It may just be I'm extremely inept at math, but for me I needed to jot a few notes down to work through this. I'm not sure whether I could see using this as seems like might be a major drag. . . but I really like the idea!
Most of my Overhauls assume notes, actually - essentially, I'd expect character sheets to include the character's base MP (including the bonus from Dodge), Melee MP, and Ranged MP, as well as what the character's skills and defenses are when only spending 6 MP on them.

If you want to avoid such, I'll note that a lot of the complication comes from my desire to give characters with high skills a reason to go All Out (a side effect was to make characters with high ranged combat skills harder to hit in ranged combat). If you're fine with a character with skill 20 getting only a +4 to hit and half Move from All Out Attack (the default for GURPS; my system would likely give that character a +10 and half move, more if he had Combat Reflexes, high Dodge, etc), things become a lot easier - prices are the same, but everyone has 20 MP across the board (no bonuses for Dodge or high skills) and the 6 MP levels simply give skill at -4, defense at -2.

Actually, come to think of it, it might be possible to combine that simplicity with my intended effects. You'd lose the ability to go almost-All-Out (you go from -4 to hit to not being able to attack, or from -2 to defenses to not being able to defend, regardless of skill level), but if we instead did the above, but then noted the MP the character gains by forgoing an attack or defense, we maintain everything else. I'll give it some thought on how to write it, then probably make a new post - Combat Posture, Simplified.

(Note this is a big part of why I like posting my ideas - the discussion almost always results in improvements like this)
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote